The weeks before Cora started her acid reflux medicine were the hardest days of my life so far. She couldn't sleep, was in constant pain, and nursed 12 to 13 hours a day. I am so thankful for God's grace and healing, medicine, and amazing family support. Below I'm listing things I want to remember in case my next baby has acid reflux or of a friend needs advice.
1. See a pediatric GI specialist. It's worth it to have some one who sees and helps babies with reflux all day.
2. Use the medicine! It took 4 days to see a difference and 7 for a complete change.
3. Go to a pharmacy that specializes in compounding. People's pharmacy has been so helpful and knowledgeable about Cora's meds. Also, try different flavors. Cora hated the strawberry, but loves the grape.
4. Use lactation resources. The lactation consultants at St. David's have been so supportive and encouraging! They do free weight checks and have warm line where you can call in and get advice!
5. Ask for help. Everyone knows you need help the first few weeks home from the hospital, but for me the hardest weeks were when her acid reflux started. I would not have survived without the help of Max and my mom.
6. Pray! Before the meds kicked in Max or my mom would take Cora for an hour to give me a break I could hear her scream in pain. All I could do was pray. I would lay in bed and pray starting with her head and moving all the way down to her toes. I prayed for peace and comfort. Sometimes I just cried, but God heard both of us.
7. Memorize scripture. Not sleeping and nursing all day broke me down. I just felt frustrated, lonely, and exhausted. When I was getting angry I repeated this verse, "For the spirit God gave us ... gives us power, love, and self discipline" (2 Tim 1:7) and "...He gently leads those that have young."
8. Find the gear that works! For Cora that has been a rock and play, mam pacifiers, Velcro swaddles, her car seat and a crib with the mattress tilted up.
9. Look for encouragement! I go back to my sister's blog and read what she wrote about each of her babies during this time. It just helps to know other moms feel the same way.
10. Take each day one at a time. Yes, eventually it gets better, but hearing that didn't make me feel better. I just had to think of making it through this one feeding or this one hour because if I thought about tomorrow I was overwhelmed.
No comments:
Post a Comment